For the past year or so we’ve been part of a meat co-op that purchases pastured meat in bulk. We order every two months. When we picked up out meat this time, Gabriel said “You should make shepherd’s pie.”
You should have heard the “oh, yeah’s ” that went on when a few days later when I finally made it. It’s so super easy and I usually have all of these items on hand. For some reason, I have forgotten about it in my meal planning for quite a while.
There’s are tons of different ways to make shepherd’s pie, here’s our way…
Shepherd’s Pie Recipe
1 lb ground beef (browned)
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can corn
2 cans green beans
mashed potatoes (we like alot)
cheddar cheese (grated)
salt & pepper
Cook up a batch of mashed potatoes (season with salt and pepper). You need enough to cover a 9X13 pan about 2″ deep.
- Brown your meat (adding salt and pepper) and then spread it on the bottom of a 9X13 pan.
- Add a can of diced tomatoes (or Rotel for a spicy flavor) and mix it in the meat.
- Sprinkle corn on top of meat.
- Sprinkle green beans on top of corn.
- Top with mashed potatoes
- Sprinkle with grated cheese
What’s been cooking in your kitchen lately? Share with us in the comments.