Lentils and rice is a super quick and frugal recipe that is hearty enough to serve for dinner. This vegetarian recipe is super flavorful with the addition of onions, carrots and a few warming spices.
What’s so great about lentils? For starters, they are a nutritional powerhouse. One cup supplies 16 grams of fiber, 17 grams of protein and 90% of the daily recommendation of foliate, among other things. Secondly they are super easy to prepare. No soaking needed and they cook in 30 minutes. Also, they are crazy cheap. I can get a 1 pound bag for 88 cents and I bet they’d be even cheaper in bulk. With one pound there’s enough for two meals for my family. And lastly, they taste really good, not gross at all.
Tried this recipe? Please leave a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ star rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comment section further down the page. We always appreciate your feedback. You can also save the recipe for later by pinning it or clicking on the heart in the lower right hand corner.
- 1 pound lentils
- 3-4 carrots (grated)
- 1 onion (chopped in very small pieces)
- 4-5 cloves of garlic (chopped) or garlic powder
- olive oil
- In a large pot (about 6qts) sauté the onions and garlic over medium heat in a little olive oil.
- When they are almost translucent add the carrots and sauté them.
- While the carrots and onions are sautéing I go ahead and add the spices. This is why I put recipe in quotes because my friend doesn't measure anything. I would start with about 1 tbsp of cumin, 1tsp of salt and 1/4 tsp of pepper. If you're using garlic powder use 2-3 tsp. I add this and let the heat extract the flavors for a couple of minutes.
- Rise the lentils and add them to the pot.
- Fill your pot with water (about 6 cups)
- Bring to a boil and then turn down the heat and simmer until lentils are soft (about 30 minutes). You can add more seasoning if you want to.
- For the rice, I just use the cooking instructions on the back of the bag and add some salt and cumin to the water.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.