This post was originally published in June 2011.
A while back I made a great creamy chicken recipe in the crockpot and I loved it. However, I love black beans and most of my family does not.
Now, just because my family doesn’t love something doesn’t mean I don’t still make it. You know, because the taste just might grow on them. So I’ve made this several times and the black bean haters are still hating them. (hate might be a little strong, but you get the idea)
So, the last time I needed a crockpot meal I decided to make this again but with a few tweaks. I seriously need more crockpot meal ideas, I have like 2….
I also renamed it, because sometimes I can fool my crew by the name, like when I tell a toddler that broccoli is little trees and they can be a big dinosaur and eat the whole tree.
Enough confessions, here’s the recipe – that my family actually liked (not just didn’t hate)…
- 5-6 chicken breasts (I've used all kinds of chicken so just use what you have but probably not a whole chicken)
- 2 cups salsa (I used some we canned last summer)
- 3 cans white beans - drained (I used ones I canned myself)
- 8oz cream cheese
- cooked rice
- Put the chicken in the crockpot and add the salsa and beans on top.
- Cook on high for about 4 hours - now, every crockpot is different so think about how yours usually cooks and then do what seems right for you.
- When it's done the chicken should be able to be shredded or torn apart.
- Add block of cream cheese and stir until melted.
- Serve over rice.
If you’re eyeing that yummy salad in the photo it’s the Kale and Bacon salad.
Feel free to leave me some crockpot recipes in the comments. I really need more than two.