Note: Once a week I share a popular post from the archives. This was originally published in March 2011.
We woke up this morning to a very bare refrigerator. Just a few days ago you could hardly open the door without something falling out, in fact, Sunday something did fall out on me…. twice.
I guess that is how it is with teenage boys!
So what do we do when we have no eggs, no oatmeal, very little milk and no cold cereal? We make cinnamon toast cake!
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- cinnamon sugar
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine dry ingredients, then add wet ingredients and mix well.
- Put in a 9X13 pan and bake 20-25 minutes.
- When done, spread with butter and sprinkle cinnamon sugar on top.
- Broil for just a minute - don't let it burn!!!
- This is the real recipe, but as usual I fiddle with it. I usually use pear butter (which we make every summer, it is similar to applesauce) instead of oil and then I cut the sugar by about 1/3. Also, I use freshly ground whole wheat, if you're using store bought whole wheat you might want to use half whole wheat and half white flour. Also, when it is under the broiler, it can go from not done to burned very quickly, so keep an eye on it.
So, what is your go-to breakfast when groceries are low?