The chicks are getting bigger and it’s time to put them with the big hens. We’ve put them in the run during the day and the hens have gotten along well. I’m not sure if it’s because the “flocks” are pretty even in numbers (28 hens, 28 chicks) or if it’s because there’s quite a bit of roaming room. I’ve been pleasantly surprised how easy it was.
But the chicks haven’t stayed the night in the coop because there isn’t enough room. So Carl and Gabriel (the only boy available this weekend) expanded the coop.
The painted part is the original coop. Fortunately, it was all put together with screws so they took one wall off, built a floor and framed up three sides. Do you see the lumber under the small piece of plywood. Its 2X4’s from a shipping crate from a local transmission shop.
We used these shipping crates to build the entire floor and frame up the walls and roof. The crates were free. So if you need some good wood, don’t overlook your local transmission shop.