Banana bread muffins have all the moist, tasty goodness of banana bread in a tidy handheld muffin. These muffins pack a lot of nutrition when you use freshly ground whole wheat flower and add some ground flax seed.
I’m not sure why but my kids prefer muffins to a loaf of banana bread – something about not having to spend the few seconds it takes to cut a slice of bread. I will agree that banana bread muffins are certainly more convenient and easier to take on the go.
Ingredients for banana bread muffins
- Flour – I use freshly ground hard white wheat for most of my baking, including these muffins. I have made this recipe with all purpose flour and it works great too.
- Sugar – I use raw sugar but regular white sugar works too.
- Baking soda
- Buttermilk – I rarely have buttermilk on hand so I use lemon juice to sour regular milk (instructions are in the recipes notes below)
- Oil – I usually use coconut oil (liquid) but whatever oil you normally use for baking will be fine.
- Bananas – the more ripe these are, the sweeter they are so we use really ripe bananas for banana bread.
- Pecans or other nuts (optional)
- Ground flax seed (optional)
How to make banana bread muffins
This recipe will make 12 regular size muffins or 1 loaf of banana bread. So the first step is to decide if you want muffins or a loaf.
Preheat the oven to 325F.
Grease the muffin tin or loaf pan. I rarely use muffin liners but if you like them you can use those instead of greasing the pans.
Combine the flour, sugar, flax and salt in an medium mixing bowl. Combine baking soda and buttermilk in a cup and set aside. Stir in the oil, eggs, vanilla and buttermilk into the dry ingredients. Mix well.
Mash the bananas in a small mixing bowl. Fold mashed bananas and nuts into muffin mixture.
Pour into pans and bake 1 hour 20 minutes for loaf and 20 -25 minutes for muffins (or until top is golden brown).
Tried this recipe? Please leave a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ star rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comment section further down the page. We always appreciate your feedback. You can also save the recipe for later by pinning it or clicking on the heart in the lower right hand corner.
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 cup plus 1 Tbsp. buttermilk (or sour milk, see notes below)
- 1/2 cup oil
- 2 eggs – beaten
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 mashed bananas
- 1 cup nuts (optional)
- 1/4 cup ground flax seed (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Grease and flour loaf pan or muffin pan.
- Combine flour, sugar, flax and salt.
- Combine baking soda and buttermilk.
- Stir in buttermilk, oil, eggs and vanilla into dry ingredients.
- Mix well. Fold in mashed bananas and nuts.
- Pour into pans and bake 1 hour 20 minutes for loaf and 20 -25 minutes for muffins (or until top is golden brown).
To make sour milk, combine 1 tbsp lemon juice with 1 cup milk and set aside for 5 minutes.