We made a very hard decision on Saturday. We decided to pull up our spinach. We’ve been enjoying the spinach for months and can usually enjoy it through April. But this week, with the temperatures in the 80’s, the spinach was really taking a beating.
Normally, we just eat spinach in salads and some of us like it on our pizza, but Carl and I are the only ones who like spinach cooked. But, we really had too much to store in the refrigerator so I made a variation of pasta and white sauce. It turned out really yummy.
This is one of those recipes that I just kind of throw together based on what we have on hand but here’s the basic gist of it.
Pasta and white sauce (enough for 8 people)
- cooked pasta, I used 2 boxes of penne
- 1/2 onion
- 1 head of garlic (minced – we like alot of garlic, adjust for your family)
- lots of spinach (I probably had 1/2 a pound – enough to fill a 4 quart pot before it cooked down)
- 1 block of cream cheese
- 1/2 to 1 cup Parmesan cheese
- about 4 cups milk
- salt and pepper
- olive oil (to saute veggies)
- flour or corn starch to thicken
- cooked chicken – we used chicken fajita meat that I cooked in the oven. (optional)
Cook the pasta. Saute the onion and garlic in large pot. When onion and garlic are tender, add spinach and saute. Add cream cheese and melt. Add milk and Parmesan cheese. Salt and pepper to taste and thicken if you want to. (In the summer, we substitute squash, zucchini and carrots for the spinach. If we have broccoli, we sometimes put that in also.)
Serve over pasta and chicken. Enjoy!
This post is linked to Tasty Tuesdays.