Note: Once a week I share a popular post from the archives. This post was originally published in April 2013.
Last week Phoebe made some one hour french bread for dinner. She made two loaves and we only ate one that night. So I took the other loaf and made baked french toast for breakfast the next morning.
This is one of our favorite “make ahead” breakfasts.
This is a pretty rich breakfast and is one we always eat for Christmas morning.
- 1 loaf of French bread
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 ½ half and half (can substitute milk)
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 tbsp maple syrup or honey
- Cut loaf into 1 inch cubes. Put into a 9X13 pan.
- Mix eggs, milk, half & half, vanilla and cinnamon together. Pour over bread.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- In morning, melt butter and cook with brown sugar and syrup or honey until just boiling. Pour over bread mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
What are your favorite make ahead breakfasts?