When Gabriel first started his obsession, I mean interest, in bees he noticed a cedar tree is some one's front yard that a hive in it. He's been thinking about that tree ever since. A couple of weeks ago Carl and Gabriel went and knocked on the person's door to ask about the tree and the bees. The owner didn't even know that there were bees in his tree. The house is a family house so he need to get permission from the other family members for Carl to cut down the tree. While they waited Gabriel began working on the Miller Method so he could requeen the hive. The call finally came.
So the next Friday night in the dark of night they went and wrapped the tree in wire screen mesh. On Saturday they went and cut the tree down. It took a while...the new chain saw wouldn't work properly so a neighbor came over with his and his front loader (I know, how many neighbors have a front loader?) and helped cut the tree down and load it onto the trailer.
to the top bar hive which Gabriel had already prepared with wax and syrup to lure them in.
In other bee news, Gabriel bought a Kona Queen from Hawaii to start another hive in one of the boxes that they got a few weeks ago. (we ordered with our beekeeper friend) I think this experiment will work a little better.
The results so far...not looking so good. The queen tried to swarm and Gabriel caught her and put her and some workers in the top bar hive. She ended up dying. We've had lots of rain and the water has gotten into the tree. They cut the tree and hive apart and extracted about 3 cups of honey - with sawdust. We need to strain it more. We're still cautiously hopeful that they will make a new queen with the brood that we gave them and live in the topbar hive.